The beginnings

Story 1

It started with THE Vivekananda Youth Leadership Convention 2013.

I was the team leader of the Web-team, within team was Shailendra K Rathore, Shamik Ghosh, Ekta and another boy whose name I do not remember.

During that period, I also designed the Vivekananda Samiti Website. I was told by Computer Centre officials that they wouldn't provide us Database for security reasons.

Since then I had this in back of my mind that database is a major concern in terms of cyber-security.

In due course, I attended various cyber security workshops at Techkriti and other programs in our campus.

As a layman I learnt four kind of cyber attacks:

  1. Database cracking (SQL Injection, etc),
  2. Uploaded file execution (such as executing an uploaded php file or python file),
  3. Javascript forgery (such as Cross Origin Resource Sharing),
  4. DNS Spoofing.

 

Since then I had in mind to make something that does not require a database, but hobby clubs can use it easily to maintain their websites.

In due course of time, I maintained the Physics Department website for a couple of years (I learnt Joomla), Hall-8 website (Learnt JQuery and other JavaScript libraries).

 Story 2

Parallel to the above story, I was also pursuing PhD with Prof. Mahendra K Verma with co-guidance of Prof Mainak Chaudhuri.

I was working as a team member to develop Tarang (a pseudo-spectral fluid solver). Dr. Supriyo Paul was the lead developer.

I inherited a working 3D FFT code from him. From an improved version of this, FFTK (Fast Fourier Transform of Kanpur) spun out.

I also inherited the fact that communication time of FFT is the bottleneck. Though sometimes from the data, I found that for smaller data set time lost due to cache miss is comparable to that of FFT Communication time.

Being familiar with web-technologies, I started to find out what people do to reduce communication time on the global network of computers (the internet) which is structurally very similar to a large scale heterogeneous supercomputer.

 

 



Comments